June 2, 1998 PA-MD-WV Tornado Outbreak
“As the days followed, debris from Frostburg was found up to 100 miles away. A jacket, bought by a woman on June 2 in Frostburg, was found with the bag and receipt near Levels, WV, 25 miles away. A 400 acre farm in Gorman, Maryland, just across the river from Paw Paw, WV (about 27 miles from Frostburg) had debris strewn across it. The farmer found shingles, pieces of siding and insulation. House debris was found in Paw Paw, WV and into the northern tip of Frederick County, VA. A JC Penny catalog belonging to the family whose house was wiped off its foundation was found in Winchester, VA, 60 miles away, along with a piece of a high school diploma from a school in Frostburg. Another part of a high school diploma was found north of Berryville about 80 miles away. A bill that had been in a basement file cabinet in the Frostburg house was found in Sterling, VA which is about 100 miles from Frostburg.” – NOAA
1. Go to the command line interface in Sublime Text
2. Add http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/package_control
3. Enable Package Control
4. Open Command Palette in Tools Menu
5. Search Package Control: Install
6. Enter and Search for SASS
Rabbit Hole of Research #1
I just saw a link to an interestingly-worded article on Reddit suggesting that Google Analytics is no longer a viable service because it is subject to spamming of traffic by Bots. Others suggest some ways of solving these issues and clearing up any confusion or misjudgment placed in the first article. I suppose Google could do a bit more to curb these issues but the exclusion list function is good enough for me.
Just a few resources that I’ve found to be quite helpful for web design.
- Bootstrap – The best framework for simple websites (<8 pages) because of its good documentation, responsive grid, navigation options, and ease of customization when adding your own CSS. Set up containers, use the carousel, and customize the featurettes with your own marketing lingo.
- WAMP – A lightweight, friendly, and easy to setup local testing server for when you want to play with PHP or map out a website folder structure easier. This will allow you to access your hosted site when you drop the files in C:\wamp\www and point your web browser to localhost.
- Google Web Fonts – Free CDN (what is a CDN?) hosted web fonts that are easily added to your website with a line each of CSS and HTML. Good typography can transform a website feel.
- The Magic of CSS – Learn the basics of CSS layouts quickly for those of us with visual learning styles.
- NetBeans IDE – This well known development environment still works great for creating a modern website. Create a project and drop Bootstrap CDN into your HTML file. Download the PHP oriented version, it’s lighter on its feet.
- How to Setup PHP Includes for HTML Pages – Save time when producing a website that has multiple web pages and one universal header/footer by using includes. Be sure to remove “active” tags from your bootstrap nav, too!
- Bootstrap 3 Tips & Tricks – Part One and Two on Scotch.io. Also check out their latest article on Foundation, a framework similar to Bootstrap.
- HTML5Please – Research the nitty gritty compatibility..y of all the HTML5 and CSS classes available.
- Best Tools for Designers – A great list that includes links to stock photos, templates, infographics, and much more.
- CSS Color Words – A fun way to find hex codes.